Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Anyone of the developers going to support Win98 (and alike)

From: Andreas Fink <andreas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 04:43:58 +0200
I don't build with ADNS; I'll have to install it and see what happens.

apparently thats the issue there. that one doesnt want to build unless you tell it to only build the static library.

You didn't list GTK+ as one of the packages; presumably you're
building it with one of the newer versions (2.12?).

forgot to list that one... so 21 dependencies now ;-)

ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.10/gtk+-2.10.2.tar.gz

all packages where the latest I could find.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/libpng/png/src/libpng-1.2.12.tar.gz

It should be possible to configure GTK+ not to use them.

those are pretty straightforward and are useful for gdlib too

ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/libpng/png/src/zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2

Why isn't the zlib that comes with the OS sufficient?

hmm. dont ask me that one. Some tools require it. maybe just because the header isnt there.

ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz (reqires make
install-headers and make install-lib in addition)

See previous comment about the jpeg libarary.

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/ freetype-2.2.1.tar.gz
 (requires --with-freetype-config=/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config)

The one that comes with OS X isn't sufficient?  I think it's a bit
old, so it might not be.

Well, the one which comes with the OS is not found or detected in Cairo.
And somehow I'm totally confused with the version numbering. The one from above is the latest there and is 2.2.1 built not so long ago. macOSX comes with something similar but shows version 9 something if I'm not mistaken.

http://fontconfig.org/release/fontconfig-2.3.2.tar.gz

Ditto.

Cairo demands them.

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff/tiff-3.8.2.tar.gz

It should be possible to configure GTK+ not to use it.

yes but thats a quick one... The biggest issues are all this font stuff.

I don't think we use any of the GTK+ capabilities that involve JPEG,
PNG, or TIFF images.

yes but if you build GTK+ as a shared library you want it to be useable for generic applications.
if its just a static library for Wireshark, it would be different.

So far I'm happier to got to that point that it really is buildable, even with a lot of waiting. this has not been the case in the past..