Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Anyone of the developers going to support Win98 (and alike)

From: didier <dgautheron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:04:42 +0200
Hi,
Le dimanche 27 aoᅵt 2006 ᅵ 13:38 +0200, Joerg Mayer a ᅵcrit :
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 06:17:28PM +0200, Andreas Fink wrote:
> > I have however to disagree on dropping support for GTK version 1.2. I
> > currently build wireshark on MacOS X wiht GTK 1.2 for a good reason.
> > The dependencies of GTK is GLIB and nothing else. If you build it
> > with GTK2, then you end up with a few  of dependencies which have
> > another large list of dependencies you have to build in addition. I
> > once tried and stopped after I compiled and patched like the 10ths
> > dependency. Things like ghostscript, cario, and a lot of other things
> > you never ever need in Wireshark. And when I build a binary, then all
> > the end users get a lot of files for nothing. This is very different
> > to other OS's which use this stuff to run their GUI in their X11
> > environment. this is not the case under MacOS X.
>
> Well, I'm very much for dropping GTK-1 support:
>
> Look at the source in gtk/ to see the effort it takes to take all the
> differences between gtk1 and gtk2 into account as well as the effort
> to maintain both versions. Compare this with the one-time-effort to
> set up a working compile time env for gtk2 for fink.
>
> Or would you be willing to maintain the gtk1 code in the Wireshark
> sources to keep them functional? If no one steps up and offers to
> maintain the gtk1 code we very likely will remove it in the not too far
> future.
Guess I can do it, I need gtk1, gtk2 is way too slow and all my changes
are for gtk1 so I will have a working gtk1 backport anyway.
I can't guarantee a daily update but a monthly one is doable. Could put
speed changes in a separate branch too.

Didier