Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Anyone of the developers going to support Win98 (and alike)

From: Andreas Fink <andreas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 04:22:28 +0200
I took another effort to build wireshark on MacOS X with gtk 2 instead of gtk.
It took me 7 hours so far and I got all dependencies tracked down.
There are still far too many but in comparison to last attempt, most dependencies now compile out of the box on MacOS X which was not the case when I tried last time (that was more than a year ago).

Now I'm on the last bit. Wireshark itself and I hit one error I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong:

here's the last few lines of output from make:

...L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib /usr/lib/libc.dylib /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib /usr/local/lib/libintl.dylib -lc /usr/local/lib/libpcre.dylib -ladns /usr/local/lib/libgnutls.dylib /usr/lib/libz.dylib /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.dylib /usr/local/lib/libgpg-error.dylib /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -L/usr/lib -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv -lnetsnmp -lwrap -lcrypto -lm -lz  -pg -Wl,-search_paths_first -install_name  /usr/local/lib/libwireshark.0.dylib -Wl,-compatibility_version -Wl,1 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,1.1
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
/usr/local/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the -multi_module option
/usr/local/lib/libadns.a(event.o) definition of common _data (size 16)
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[3]: *** [libwireshark.la] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
andreas11:/Users/afink/development/wireshark-0.99.3a root#

FYI The following packages had to be installed for GTK2 version under MacOS X

ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz (reqires make install-headers and make install-lib in addition)
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-2.2.1.tar.gz (requires --with-freetype-config=/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config)

and the few optional stuff

wireshark was then configure with:

./configure --with-ssl --enable-threads --with-lua --enable-usr-local  --enable-profile-build

so a total of 20 dependencies!
compared to the minimal build using GTK1/GLIB1 this is 10 times more...
And I havnt made the list of all those funky files I now have to add to the installer... thats another looong to do list.

by the way, I tried this approach simultaneously on two machines, one being PPC and one being Intel. So the result could be lipo'ed together and build one universal fat installer.

Once this has completed I'l put up another Installer for wireshark 0.99.3a for MacOS X so the MacOS X users don't have to go through building 21 packages and spend hours and hours.

Andreas Fink
Fink Consulting GmbH
Tel: +41-61-6666332 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
ICQ: 8239353
MSN: afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink
Yahoo: finkconsulting SMS: +41792457333