Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Anyone of the developers going to support Win98 (and alike)
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:28:14 -0700
Andreas Fink wrote:
To give you an example what you have to maintain for GTK2 on MacOS X.
This is the list of dependent packages to link to for GTK2 under MacOS X

    libpcap
    libpcap-shlibs
    libjpeg
    libjpeg-shlibs
    libpng3
    libpng3-shlibs
    libtiff
    libtiff-shlibs

    pcre
    pcre-shlibs
    pkgconfig
    x11-dev
    x11-shlibs

while the same with GTK1 is
   glib-1.2
   gtk+1.2
Why is pcre required for GTK+ 2.x?  (I don't have it installed on all
the Macs on which I build Wireshark, and I build with 2.4.)  It's
required if you want to support regular expression matching in search
operations; it can, as far as I know, be used either with GTK+ 1.2[.x]
or GTK+ 2.x.
And why is any extra libpcap package required for GTK+ 2.x?  It *comes
with the OS*, even if you *don't* install X11.  You need an SDK to get
pcap.h and pcap-bpf.h, but you don't need that to install a binary, and
the SDK you'd need comes with the OS.
I'm not sure why you need "x11-dev" and "x11-shlibs" with GTK+ 2.x but
not 1.2[.x] - you need the X11 SDK, but you'd need that even for GTK+
1.2[.x] (not surprisingly, it calls Xlib).  Are you building GTK+ 2.x
from source, or are you using some (mis-)packaged binary GTK+ 2.x
distribution?
If you're building GTK+ 2.x from source, you can configure GTK+ 2.x
without JPEG/PNG/TIFF support; it's not the default, but it makes things
easier.