Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Anyone of the developers going to support Win98 (and alike)
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:25:07 -0700
Andreas Fink wrote:

This list just came as output from "fink show-deps ethereal" and the corresponding libraries.
So are we talking about the Fink project's Ethereal/Wireshark package,
or the Andreas Fink Ethereal/Wireshark package? :-)
If it's the Fink project's package, they might, for whatever reason,
have decided to configure Ethereal/Wireshark with PCRE when building a
version that uses GTK2, but not when building a version that uses GTK1,
even though a GTK1 version can be built with PCRE and a GTK2 version can
be built without PCRE.
I remeber that in previous versions there was even more. Cairo, Ghostscript and a lot of Font stuff where needed when Pango was included. That was really the nightmare to follow.
Cairo is probably an issue of the version of GTK2 that they're using - I
forget whether it's GTK+ 2.6 or 2.8 that requires Cairo.
Actually JPEG/PNG/TIFF are the easy part to make work (I did that in the past for gdlib) The hard work is pango and all the font stuff. Thats where I gave up last time.
I haven't had trouble with it, but I'm using GTK+ 2.4.8 (I gave up on
later versions, because of the font problems).
How much work would it be to build a GTK replacement running on Aqua implementing only the limited amount of calls Ethereal is using off GTK?
I can't speak for GTK1, but there's a project to do so for GTK2:

	http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx