Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Anyone of the developers going to support Win98 (and alike)

From: Andreas Fink <andreas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:17:28 +0200

On 26.08.2006, at 15:32, Erwin Rol wrote:

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 14:32 +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
Hi List!

The current situation of Win98/95/ME (and Nt 4.0) support is
unsatisfactory IMHO.

I assume this is due to the request from Tor Lillqvist on the GTK list
to drop support for those platforms in upcoming GTK releases.

I am all for moving to GTK > 2.8 and drop any platform that isn't
supported by it.

I agree on droping Win95/Win98 and other OS's which are end of support, end of life since many years.

I have however to disagree on dropping support for GTK version 1.2. I currently build wireshark on MacOS X wiht GTK 1.2 for a good reason. The dependencies of GTK is GLIB and nothing else. If you build it with GTK2, then you end up with a few of dependencies which have another large list of dependencies you have to build in addition. I once tried and stopped after I compiled and patched like the 10ths dependency. Things like ghostscript, cario, and a lot of other things you never ever need in Wireshark. And when I build a binary, then all the end users get a lot of files for nothing. This is very different to other OS's which use this stuff to run their GUI in their X11 environment. this is not the case under MacOS X.