Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Crosscompiling TSHARK to run on embedded linux on ppc440

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:32:13 -0800

On Feb 12, 2009, at 2:00 PM, H Aslam wrote:

Ok.. that's what I started with..

and I got and am now getting the same error:

checking for pkg-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** A new enough version of pkg-config was not found.
*** See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/
configure: error: GLib2 distribution not found.

So we're back where we started :-S In the previous attempt I installed glib2-devel which of course is for the development machine...

Do you have an ELDK version of glib2-devel installed?

So this is what I did in my first attempt:

yum install bison

This is the correct thing to do, unless there's an ELDK *cross- development* package of Bison (i.e., one that installs a version of Bison that runs *ON YOUR PC*, *NOT* on the PPC 4xx target).

yum install flex

Same as with Bison.

yum install pkgconfig

This is probably the correct thing to do, for the same reason. The trick is that pkg-config is a framework for dealing with various packages, so the question is where it should look for the pkg-config information for those packages? Should ELDK have a cross-development version of pkg-config, that looks, by default, for pkg-config information in a location separate from where the "native" pkg-config looks, or should it use the "native" pkg-config but with the appropriate environment variable set to look in the location for the pkg-config information for the ELDK target versions of the packages?

yum install glib2-devel

This is not useful for cross-development, as it will install a native version of glib2-devel.

Cross-development is usually harder than native development, as the issues listed above indicate. You should probably ask the DENX people for advice on this; the details of how to do cross-building of Wireshark, or any other program, depends at least as much on the particular cross-development environment as on the program, and I've never done cross-development with ELDK, so the DENX people are probably at least as likely, and probably more likely, to know what you will need to do to set up a cross-building environment for a GLib- based application such as TShark.