Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Crosscompiling TSHARK to run on embedded linux on ppc440!

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 20:57:50 -0800

On Feb 8, 2009, at 8:19 PM, H Aslam wrote:

will try again... but not sure what I will end up with "size wise".. I assume that tshark will not fit on a ramdisk image?

It depends on how big your ramdisk is.

These are not exactly comparable, as I'm doing this on an x86 Mac, so there are Linux-vs-Mac OS X and PPC-vs-x86 differences - and you might be able to shrink things by statically linking - but the GLib shared library (and libgmodule, which goes along with it), the shared library containing the Wireshark/TShark dissectors, and the library that reads capture files, are:

	   bytes	library
	 1064196	libglib-2.0.0.dylib
	   19980	libgmodule-2.0.0.dylib
	32155400	libwireshark.dylib
	  301544	libwiretap.dylib

TShark itself is:

	   bytes	program
	  201860	tshark

I can't guarantee that you won't need other libraries as well, such as libpcap:

	   bytes	library
	  767824	/usr/lib/libpcap.dylib