Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] I just want to know whether there has been anyattempt to dev

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:39:59 -0500 (EST)
> X would probably be a LOT more appropriate as the application itself
> would simply be displayed on the remote systems using the same drawing
> methods used to draw on the local console, and without sharing the
> "entire desktop".  You can easily control user access to be able to run
> Ethereal only.  If your clients run Unix-like systems (including Mac OS
> X), you most likely already have an X server installed or run X-based
> apps.

Very true.  There is also a version of VNC that displays a single
application.  VNC can be network intensive and/or slow depending on the
encoding chosen and the line speed.  That said, it is a great tool.

> X is by no means an ideal display protocol but one of its native
> functions is to provide network-based GUI display.
>
> I'm not aware if there are any Browser-based X servers, though I doubt
> it.

Check out http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/ for one such Java-based X server.
I have not used the applet version, personally.  It is based on
http://wiredx.net/services.php

--john