Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] I just want to know whether there has been anyattempt to deve

From: Ian Schorr <ischorr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:30:59 -0500
There are actually VNC clients that can be run in Web browsers as Java applets, which might be a bit closer to what you're looking for.

X would probably be a LOT more appropriate as the application itself would simply be displayed on the remote systems using the same drawing methods used to draw on the local console, and without sharing the "entire desktop". You can easily control user access to be able to run Ethereal only. If your clients run Unix-like systems (including Mac OS X), you most likely already have an X server installed or run X-based apps.

On Windows you can use Cygwin's X server, and you should have Cygwin installed anyway =)

X is by no means an ideal display protocol but one of its native functions is to provide network-based GUI display.

I'm not aware if there are any Browser-based X servers, though I doubt it.

Ian