Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Patch to make ethereal-0.10.2 work on Cygwin w ith packet cap

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:17:27 +0100
|From: Stephen Blackheath
|
|Olivier,
|
|Weird!  No special flags.  I'm not exactly a Cygwin master,
|but I don't seem
|to get WIN32 and _WIN32 defined, so it never called load_pcap() (in
|capture-wpcap.c).  The explanation is probably that the Unix code
|(pcap-util-unix.c) works on Cygwin (not that I tried it).

Not 'probably' but 'definitely' (I tested this some months ago).

You *could* even look for a source libpcap distribution and get it to
compile on cygwin :)

However the easiest way is by using the WinPCap developer's pack. All files
in wpdpack\Include (including subdirectory NET) must be copied to
/usr/local/include. Then also copy all *.a files in wpdpack\Lib to
/usr/local/lib/. Finally copy Packet.lib and wpcap.lib from wpdpack\Lib to
the /bin directory.

|Looks like I did it the hard way.
|
|But I definitely couldn't get it to configure.  The
|AC_CHECK_LIB failed for me.

Could you verify your setup so it is the same as mine (see remarks above)
and give it a try? You *may* require running make distclean before getting a
succesful build.

Regards,

Olivier

|Steve
|
|On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:20, Biot Olivier wrote:
|> Weird... I compile Ethereal *with* packet capturing for over 1 year
|> *without* this WinPCap patch, with the relevant WinPCap
|developer pack
|> files installed in the appropriate cygwin directories.
|>
|> Are you using some special compiler flags?
|>
|> Regards,
|>
|> Olivier

|> |
|> |All,
|> |
|> |The attached patch to ethereal-0.10.2 makes it work on Cygwin
|> |with packet capture, using WinPCap 3.0 for the packet capture.
|> |