Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Slowdown after mounting DFS network drives

From: Ian Schorr <ian.schorr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:23:48 +1000
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM, János Löbb <janos.lobb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, I saw that one, already three months ago in my wireshark
> captures, and asked the DFS server admin if there is a timeout for
> client access can it be set to a lower value and he said to me there
> is no such thing.

He's correct.  The I/O is client-driven - that is, the client is
choosing when to issue I/Os and when not to.  The "DFS server" is
responding immediately to requests.  The client then CHOOSES to wait
5-10 seconds before the next DLL location attempt.  That decision has
nothing to do with the CIFS server, and the CIFS server cannot do
anything to force the client to stop pausing and causing the access
delay.  Therefore there's no "client access timeout" that can be
changed for you.

Sorry, but your problem is on your systems, not his, and he's not
going to be able to do much to help you.

-Ian