Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Slowdown after mounting DFS network drives

From: János Löbb <janos.lobb@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:35:21 -0400

On Apr 5, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

János Löbb wrote:

What do you think the problem is ??

It looks to me like the PC is trying several times to find a DLL on the
server, getting a 'not found' return and then timing out for 4 or 10
secs and trying again.

I suggest you open the capture file, filter on one of the TCP
conversations (statistics ! conversations) and see for yourself.  :)

Hi Bill,

Yes, I saw that one, already three months ago in my wireshark captures, and asked the DFS server admin if there is a timeout for client access can it be set to a lower value and he said to me there is no such thing.

That particular dll wshenu.dll - Windows Scripting Host English - does not even exist on the client PC and it does not exist on the DFS servers either. However Windows Exploder, IE and any script created with Windows Scripting is looking for it.
http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic5696.html

Rephrasing my question, how can I use the capture file to show the DFS admin that there is a problem here. I sent him similar captures 3 months ago.

Thanks ahead,

János