Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] missing NTP packets

From: "Bill Meier" <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:00:12 -0400
Dean Toth wrote:

> I am having problems seeing NTP packets. I have a network of hpux
> workstations that are all synced with NTP. I can see the NTP packets leaving
> the server and arriving at the clients via an HP tool nettladm. But
> wiresharek (or and older version of Ethereal does not list any NTP packets on
> the network). I have a multi switch configuration but workstaitons in both
> switches are synced with the NTP server. I am running wireshark on my laptop
> that has a 3Com EtherLink NIC using Microsofs Packet Scheduler. Is there some
> type of limitation with this schedular. Can any one help me out. Thank you.

How are you ensuring that your laptop sees all the traffic through the switch
(and not just traffic to/from your laptop ?

See the Wireshark Wiki: "How to Setup a Capture".
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup

See also the Wirshark FAQ Section 7 "Capturing Packets".
  http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html

Bill Meier