Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] promiscuous mode on a wireless card with a router as the acces

From: Terra Frost <terrafrost@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:19:41 -0500
For wired network connections, promiscuous mode only works if you're connected into a hub. If you're connected into a switch, it won't.

The Linksys WRT54G - the access point I'm using - has a built-in switch, however, I'm not sure if this built-in switch is for wired networks, only, or if it's for wireless networks, as well. If it's for wireless networks, then that'd probably explain why I can't enter into promiscuous mode, however, what would let me enter into promiscuous mode for wireless networks, then?

Linksys has a stand-alone access point (WAP54G), however, the page on Linksys' website that discusses it doesn't mention anything about a hub or a switch. Does that mean that wireless access points don't even use hubs / switches?