Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Need help in Packet Capture !!!

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:05:41 -0400
On 05:27 AM 6/8/2005, Venkatesh G S wrote:
>           i am a new member to this mailing list and i hope u all
>will help me out in solving the problem in my network
>
>Problem 1 :
>
>a) I have around 800 users in LAN and we have almost all the
>networking devices in place.This is also a production
>environment.Users often complain me about the network being slow and i
>installed Ethereal in my PC to analyze LAN traffic.

This is 800 users in the same subnet?  Do you have switches, hubs? what class of hardware?  What is your traffic pattern?

>b) Now i  am successfully able to capture all the traffic flowing
>across my Network.
>c) Can anyone suggest, what should be the Traffic that i should really
>be monitoring at (i.e) what kind of Capture Filter should i create to
>Filter out the Unwanted Traffic in my LAN

Impossible to answer via listserv.  Any traffic that seems fishy (like DDoS packets)

>Problem 2:
>
>a) Can Ethereal also be used to analysis switch traffic and to find
>out which port of my switch is generating a lot a traffic ?

Not easily.  You may want to investigate "MRTG and or RRD" for this task.  Or you can use (assuming it's a cisco device) 'sho top' and 'sho mac' commands to find the high talkers.

hsb