Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Need help in Packet Capture !!!

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:57:50 +0200
> Problem 2:
>
> a) Can Ethereal also be used to analysis switch traffic and to find
> out which port of my switch is generating a lot a traffic ?

More than sniffing, You better monitor the I/O counters of your
switches, using for example, any sort of snmp client. If the switches
are not snmp capable and keep no counters probably ntop is a better
choice than ethereal. be aware that in switched LANs sniffing is not
that easy.  Take a look at
http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup_2fEthernet for some hints on how
to capture in a switched environment.