Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] new to ethereal (understanding data captured)

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:02:52 -0400
On 09:27 AM 6/8/2005, Chad Hays wrote:

>I am new to using ethereal and am trying to understand and interprete the data I have captured.  The issue we are trying to resolve is:  We have a datamax label printer (IP printer) that gets info from our AS400, it  stops the writer randomly (like a time out)  We have the same setup at different places in the plant with no issues, so we  are trying to determine if there is a network issue.  The last data captured is [snip: tcp keepalives]

The 20.53 host is sending TCP keepalives so that may be of interest to you.  But w/o looking at the actual traces, it may be difficult diagnose.  You may want to set up a ping script to see if the printer goes off line at the IP level as well.  Perhaps it's a firmware/printer issue and not an IP issue.

>also, we have a cnc pc that communicates with our file and print sharing server that has A TON of "c search for file or subdirectory in the info tab, using NCP protocol.   Not sure whats going on there but may be creating excessive traffic,

My first guess would be that you have search drives setup in your login script.  This is causing the PC to search through the NetWare search drives *FIRST* w/o much success.  You may want to map the search drives at the end of the path.

hsb