Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Jitter Measurement

From: John Graves <jhgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:18:36 -0400
Scott,

If you highlight a RTP stream, and go Statistics > RTP > Stream Analysis

It shows you both sides of an RTP conversation, and one of the statistics is Jitter. I was looking at that and going back to the inter-packet times and trying to figure out how Jitter is measured. What I see in a lot of sessions is a growth and decline of Jitter across the session, and usually one side is worse than the other. I am trying to understand if jitter is an important variable in diagnosing voice that goes into the toilet or just another interesting set of numbers. Is this an estimated amount of jitter or is this absolute? Can I use this as a sign that the voip traffic starts to degrade with only 10-15 ms of jitter. Specs on the equipment say that it can tolerate up to 100 ms of jitter before the buffer blows.

John G.

Scott Lowrey wrote:

I don't know how Ethereal measures jitter.  (Does it? :)

RFC 3550 explains the concept and the required formulas for RTP/RTCP. In a nutshell, jitter is a statistical measurement of the packet inter-arrival time variation in a stream, and is expressed in units of time.

There are other definitions of jitter, most dealing with electronic communications and circuitry.

John Graves wrote:

Looking at the numbers for packets included in the RTP stream analysis, it is not clear to me how jitter is measured. Can someone point me to an explanation of this or explain how it is determined?

--
*Scott Lowrey*
Test Engineering Manager

/1.240.912.1369/