Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Jitter Measurement

From: Scott Lowrey <slowrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:02:55 -0400
I don't know how Ethereal measures jitter.  (Does it? :)

RFC 3550 explains the concept and the required formulas for RTP/RTCP.  In  a nutshell, jitter is a statistical measurement of the packet inter-arrival time variation in a stream, and is expressed in units of time.

There are other definitions of jitter, most dealing with electronic communications and circuitry.

John Graves wrote:
Looking at the numbers for packets included in the RTP stream analysis, it is not clear to me how jitter is measured.  Can someone point me to an explanation of this or explain how it is determined?

--
Scott Lowrey
Test Engineering Manager

1.240.912.1369