Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Newbie on Ethereal

From: "John J. LeMay Jr." <jlemay@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:05:58 -0500
** Reply to message from "Renato Punu" <rpunu@xxxxxxxx> on Sun, 28 Oct 2001
10:21:10 -0500

> 1. If I want to capture the live packets coming in/out on  Server#1 or
> router#1, can I do it on my machine(Win98). How can I define/enter the
> Server#1 or router# interface on the INTERFACE field.

Yes, assuming both machines (server and your machine) are connected the same
network hub (not switch). If you are connected to a switch, the switch must be
configured to "mirror" traffic to your port from the server port.

> 2. Is the ethereal program need to be installed/loaded  on each machine
> that you want to capture live packets. The reason is I can only see the
> packets coming in/out on my WIn98 machine when I start capture

No, this sounds like you may be connected to a switch, not a hub.

> 3. How can I configure ethereal on my WIn98 so that when I run capture, I
> can see the capture packets in real time, not the total % packets, etc.
> Right now I can only see the detailed info if I stop capturing the packets.

This is an option after you start a capture. When the capture configuration
window pops up (where you select an interfact) select the options to scroll
during capture.

John LeMay Jr.
Senior Enterprise Consultant
NJMC, LLC.