Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Newbie on Ethereal

From: Richard Urwin <RUrwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:46:32 -0000
> 1. If I want to capture the live packets coming in/out on  Server#1 or
> router#1, can I do it on my machine(Win98). How can I define/enter the
> Server#1 or router# interface on the INTERFACE field.

Yes, assuming both machines (server and your machine) are connected the same
network hub (not switch). If you are connected to a switch, the switch must
be
configured to "mirror" traffic to your port from the server port.

Or, if you can't do that, (lots of cheaper switches don't support it,) go
and buy a cheap four port hub, connect Server#1, Router#1, the switch and
your Ethereal machine to that, and you will see the traffic that you want
to. It might slow the server/router traffic down a bit, but nothing too bad
for the short time you'll need.

--
Richard Urwin, Software Design Engineer
Ricardo Test Automation