Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Newbie on Ethereal

From: "Renato Punu" <rpunu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:21:10 -0500
Hello,

I have installed winPcap first as well as the etheral ver 0.8.20. Whe I run
etheral and hit capture/start, I can only see the nic card interface on the
INTERFACE field on my machine. Ex. EL90x, USB100TX.

Questions:

1. If I want to capture the live packets coming in/out on  Server#1 or
router#1, can I do it on my machine(Win98). How can I define/enter the
Server#1 or router# interface on the INTERFACE field.

2. Is the ethereal program need to be installed/loaded  on each machine
that you want to capture live packets. The reason is I can only see the
packets coming in/out on my WIn98 machine when I start capture

3. How can I configure ethereal on my WIn98 so that when I run capture, I
can see the capture packets in real time, not the total % packets, etc.
Right now I can only see the detailed info if I stop capturing the packets.

Thanks in advance for your help

Rene