Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] API and virtual network interface

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:30:29 +0200
Steffen R�ttig wrote:
do you know something about writing a virtual network card?
regards, steff
Well, not really.

Basically you'll need a kernel mode device driver that will fake the system to be a network card.

On Windows you'll probably need the Windows NT-DDK (device driver kit) which isn't freely available.

I've never done this myself (except for a DOS device driver for my own diploma several years ago) so I won't be much help here.

In general, writing a kernel mode device driver isn't usually an easy task.

Regards, ULFL