Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] API and virtual network interface

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:29:29 +0200
Steffen R�ttig wrote:
hello,

i have two questions for my exam (germany - diplom) ...

1. i didn't find something about a API to control wireshark from a
external program. did i slipped the part or is it in another document?
There's currently no API to control wireshark. You may control wireshark by some general purpose GUI macro recorder, but I don't know any personally.
2. have anyone practical knowledge to create a network interface? i have
to write an interface that receive packages from a external programm.
this interface must recognize from winpcap as a device. is this possible?
That won't be easy I would guess. You could patch libpcap/WinPcap or write a virtual network card driver that provides something like that to the operating system.

Regards, ULFL