Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building RPM proprietarry plugin including math.h fails

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 10:08:38 +0100

On 29/08/18 08:11, Guy Harris wrote:
On Aug 28, 2018, at 10:03 PM, João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And if my plugin calls requires libfoozbar that's an automatic libwireshark dependency then?

If you're assuming that libwireshark uses libfoobar, you are making a mistake, unless "footer" is spelled "glib" or "c".

Or doesn't call C math functions,

Then your plugin doesn't need to be linked with libm.

Point is any library is already available to plugins.

If you link with it.  Don't assume libwireshark is guaranteed to be linked with any libraries other than "the system libraries" and "glib".

Naturally. Seems like we are in agreement then. By "external linkage requirement" I was talking about what CMake calls the library link interface (the library being libwireshark in this case). The required linker flags to load libwireshark without undefined symbols, in other words.

For a plugin using C math functions, yes, linking with libm may be a requirement, depending on the platform, as you said.