Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Quick start instructions for Gerrit

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:44:17 -0800
On Jan 31, 2014, at 2:22 AM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But one clarification. You do not check-out a project with git. This
> is a misconception. You clone the complete repository of wireshark
> into a local copy.

Unfortunately, yes, that's what happens, imposing a requirement to push changes after they're committed, and adding an extra step to my workflow with no obvious benefit either to me or to the project.

I have, occasionally, been tempted to see whether I could do my own set of porcelain that allows me to completely ignore the "you have your own separate repository" stuff, with a more CVS/SVN-like model, where

	1) there's an "update" operation that grabs from the master changes made since the last time a checkout or update was done, attempts to merge them into the files you have modified, and keeps track of the ones where there was a merge conflict;

	2) there's a "commit" operation that sends your changes to the master;

	3) changes are either committed to the master or they're not - there's no notion of adding a file that's already in the repository to a change set, and the "diff" operation shows the difference between all your changes and the master.