Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Quick start instructions for Gerrit

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:17:53 +0100
Hi

There are a couple of reasons why you should not work on master, and
they nearly all come back to the argument: "rebase is nearly allways
preferable over merge"

1. You are doing local reviews of patches. Those can be done in
separate sub-branches and reside there, no matter if you pull up
master or not, the sub-branch will stay correctly on the revision you
had it, when the review started

2. You may work on various parts of the source at the same time, e.g.
changing an interface for the UI and therefore adding changes to gtk,
qt and tshark at the same time. For this you add a branch for the
underlying change, and each individual change is handled in different
branches. If you need to change the underlying interface, you switch
back to the if branch and so on

3. Merge-branches show up in the main repo, if you have push privileges

4. You can allways start with a clean slate, and don't have to
roll-back and forth.

Those are a couple of reasons why,

You can also take a look at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/457927/git-workflow-and-rebase-vs-merge-questions
or http://git-scm.com/book/ch3-6.html for other reasons.

Btw, in you scenario you allways rebase from the remote repo. Now, I
work sometimes during train rides or from my home office. In both
cases I do not have access to our company gerrit repo. But in both
cases I might revert my work or change stuff which would break other
stuff. By having a clean master I will allways have a clean point to
fall back on.

Of course, those are just my own reasons derived from my own working
experience ;-) Everything depends on each individuals own perspective.
If you found a way that works for you, stick to it.

kind regards,
Roland