Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Quick start instructions for Gerrit

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:58:04 +0100
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, if I'm working on various parts of the source at the same time, because I have more than one project in progress, I have multiple separate trees, so there's nothing to switch.  (There are, I guess, people out there who actually *like* tabbed browsing, too, but if there were a UI option in Safari to *disable* the creation of new tabs, I'd set that option to "disable tabs"....)
>
> But if I'm changing an interface for the UI, I'll change all three UIs at once.

As I said before, everyone finds his own way of doing it. I do not
think however, that branches compare to tabs in quite the way you
described. Branches are more of sheets of paper, you add to a folder
or remove, depending on your progress and ideas. The neat thing of
branches is, that work can depend on other branches, therefore
allowing you to go really wild with ideas and still be able to switch
back to the main track without loosing anything.

> which is one *REAL* problem I have with Git - it's not the job of a VCS to tell you what your workflow should be, it's the job of a VCS to support the preferred workflow of the developer and the desired workflow of the project.

In my opinion, git does not dictat that much. Sure, rebase, branches
and merging is kind of a way of forcing workflow, but this stems out
of the necessity to keep the repos clean and synchronized, not
necessarily out of a dictat on your workflow. Therefore I can live
with it. Especially as my company used VSS in the past.

regards,
Roland