Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Quick start instructions for Gerrit

From: Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:27:59 +0100
On 30 January 2014 21:08, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> One of the essential rule is that you *never*, *ever* work in the master branch.
>
> Why not?

I agree with this question. "master" is local branch and
"origin/master" is all time accessible (it is remote "master"). So I
assume we can work on any local branch. Also "origin/master" is truly
read-only.

My "instruction":
$ git fetch gerrit # sync to remote git ("origin")
>From https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark
   458b835..5c7d57a  master     -> gerrit/master
   d3bd396..0b6bb29  master-1.10 -> gerrit/master-1.10

$ git diff --stat 458b835..5c7d57a # quick looking for interesting changes
 .gitignore                   |  6 ++++--
 epan/dissectors/packet-tcp.c |  1 +
 epan/packet.c                | 15 +++++++++++++++
 epan/packet.h                |  2 ++

$ git log  -p 458b835..5c7d57a .gitignore   # see who and what

$ git push gerrit HEAD:refs/drafs/master # if need show draft, work
progress, RFC, etc.

$ git fetch gerrit
$ git checkout -b gerrit_push gerrit/master
$ git cherrypick master~4
$ git cherrypick master~5
$ git push gerrit HEAD:refs/publish/master # send to gerrit
$ git checkout master

# when need update to latest git

# $ git checkout master
$ git fetch gerrit
$ git rebase gerrit/master

# useful commands

# $ git checkout master
git add -p # sometimes is useful
git add -u
git status
git diff
git diff --stat
git commit --amend
git rebase -i gerrit/master # do fixups, change commit order
git log --decorate=full --stat --pretty=fuller

--

Pozdrawiam / Best regards
Michał Łabędzki, Software Engineer

Product Development Services

http://www.tieto.com / http://www.tieto.pl
---
ASCII: Michal Labedzki
location: Swobodna 1 Street, 50-088 Wrocław, Poland
room: 5.01 (desk next to 5.08)
---
Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the
notified that any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank You.
---
---
Tieto Poland spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością z siedzibą w
Szczecinie, ul. Malczewskiego 26. Zarejestrowana w Sądzie Rejonowym
Szczecin-Centrum w Szczecinie, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego
Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem 0000124858. NIP: 8542085557. REGON:
812023656. Kapitał zakładowy: 4 271500 PLN