Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 49410: /trunk/asn1/ /trunk/asn1/: CM

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:37:06 +0200
2013/5/20 Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 05:48:51PM +0000, pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=49410
>
> User: pascal
> Date: 2013/05/18 10:48 AM
>
> Log:
>  Revert r49406: it's not ready for prime time yet
>
> Directory: /trunk/asn1/
>   Changes    Path              Action
>   +2 -1      CMakeLists.txt    Modified
>   +1 -1      Makefile.am       Modified

Why did you revert this? This will not replace epan/packet-kerberos.[hc]
unless someone type make in asn1/ or asn1/kerberos/ *and* commits the
changes files epan/dissectors/. With this change it is just easier for
the people who work on this or would like to test the changes on some
of their data in their private repo.

Hi Jörg,

as the Kerberos autogenerated is not at the same level as the hand written one yet (I found missing things when working on it last week), I wanted to avoid having someone committing the auto generated one (assuming that it was an oversight to have locally modified files not checked in) and have a loss of functionality. Better safe than sorry.
For example I have a long standing but not yet committed change in asn2wrs.py and if / when I commit it, I will regenerate all the ASN.1 dissectors and I could easily commit the packet-kerberos.c file by error.
Moreover I was able to generate the ASN.1 based Kerberos dissector by typing make in asn1/kerberos without your change, so it was already quite easy to work on it.
If my argument does not convince you, you can revert my revert and I will pay attention that no one commit the packet-kerberos.c file until it is fully ready :) And it that case it should be un-commented in Makefile.nmake also.

Regards,
Pascal.