Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Kept support of Visual Studio 2005

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:37:57 +0100

On 20 May 2013 16:20, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

i found this line (in ui/gtk/summary_dialog.c)

#if (defined _WIN32) && (_MSC_VER < 1500)
  /* calling localtime() on MSVC 2005 with huge values causes it to crash */
  /* XXX - find the exact value that still does work */
  /* XXX - using _USE_32BIT_TIME_T might be another way to circumvent this problem */
  if (ti_time > 2000000000) {
      ti_tm = NULL;
  } else
#endif
  ti_tm = localtime(&ti_time);

and i ask if you need to kept the support of VS2005.

I search in mailing archive and not found specifically a topic about this.

May be cleanup the support of VS2005 with 1.11 ?

This is the small end of a long and wriggly worm.

Windows builds can consume system libraries from two sources, the Compiler\VS Studio installation and the Platform SDK.  Merely checking the compiler version isn't necessarily the correct option as the build may be using a much newer version of the SDK that doesn't have the issue.  In addition the build may be targeted at version of Windows that doesn't suffer the issue.  I would like to have the time to sort this out.

In general though, I agree that for Windows, supporting old compilers isn't really necessary as Visual Studio will generally install on older OS's, excepting that VS2012 limits support to Win7 and later, so we might need to support VS2010 for XP and Vista, although even XP dies (from mainstream support) in Apr 2014.

Graham