Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Kept support of Visual Studio 2005

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 11:29:32 -0400
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

i found this line (in ui/gtk/summary_dialog.c)

#if (defined _WIN32) && (_MSC_VER < 1500)
  /* calling localtime() on MSVC 2005 with huge values causes it to crash */
  /* XXX - find the exact value that still does work */
  /* XXX - using _USE_32BIT_TIME_T might be another way to circumvent this problem */
  if (ti_time > 2000000000) {
      ti_tm = NULL;
  } else
#endif
  ti_tm = localtime(&ti_time);

and i ask if you need to kept the support of VS2005.

I search in mailing archive and not found specifically a topic about this.

May be cleanup the support of VS2005 with 1.11 ?

Wouldn't bother me any.

A similar question regarding glib versions came up a few weeks ago - it would be good if we could talk at Sharkfest about a plan of some sort for support lifespans. Obviously every case is slightly different but it would be good to agree on some sort of general policy, both for internal use and for communication to the more stability-oriented vendors who might be evaluating Wireshark.

Cheers,
Evan