Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] "cannot open display"

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 23:25:14 -0700
Ben McGee wrote:

I'm a luddite trying to use ethereal previously installed and, I assume working, on a remote Unix server in my company.
When I enter
ethereal
I get "- Gtk - warning **! cannot open display"
any ideas please?

First, make sure the DISPLAY environment variable for Ethereal is set to refer to the machine running on your desktop, which is presumably the machine on which you want Ethereal to display its window and whose keyboard and mouse you want to use to provide input to Ethereal.

If your desktop machine is named "foo", set the DISPLAY environment to "foo:0.0". If your shell on the Unix server is the Bourne shell or a compatible shell, do

	DISPLAY=foo:0.0; export DISPLAY

and if it's the C shell or a compatible shell, do

	setenv DISPLAY foo:0.0

If that doesn't work, make sure your desktop machine's X server is configured to allow connections from "foo". If your desktop machine is a Un*x machine (this includes Linux and Mac OS X), you can do

	xhost +foo

on a terminal; if it's not a Un*x machine, consult the documentation for your X server.

Note also that if your desktop machine is a Mac OS X machine, you'll have to make sure you have the X server installed and have started it. If it's a Windows machine, you'll have to install an X server and start it. If it's another UN*X machine, it's probably using X to implement its desktop environment, in which case you'd already have X running.