Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] "cannot open display"

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:25:09 -0700
Adam McLaurin wrote:
First of all, do other GUI's show up other than Ethereal?

E.g., can you run an xterm on the Unix server and make it display on the local machine?

If not,

a) Make sure your DISPLAY environment variable is pointing to your local
X server.

b) Make sure you actually have X11 forwarding enabled in your ssh
client. In OpenSSH, the option is '-X'. In PuTTY, there's a GUI option
for it.

Step b) isn't a requirement, although it's a convenience.