Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.10 next week?

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:06:58 +0100
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:06:37 +1100, ronnie sahlberg
<ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> do we need plugin support?   it is a serious question.
> [snip]
> so, in my experience,  plugin support does not provide any practical
> benefit at all for maintainers of out-of-tree protocols which leads to
> the quite serious question :  what is the benefit of plugin support?

While not necessary I believe they are useful at least for one reason.

- They give a (much) faster compilation/intallation/testing cycle
    "cd plugins/xxx && make && cp .libs/xxx.so ~/.ethereal/plugins"
takes few secons
    "make && sudo make install" takes two minutes or so