Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.10 next week?

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:40:13 +1100
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:37:46 +0100, Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> How about grouping dissectors together in sub directories of epan/dissectors?
> I don't like to have 700 files in just a single directory.
> I'd like to suggest following groups for dissectors:
> - Layer 2 Protocols
> - Layer 3 Protocols
> - Layer 4 Protocols
> - ASN.1 based protocols
> - text based protocols, e.g. HTTP, SIP, MGCP (depluginized), ...
> - dcerpc dissectors
> - aim dissectors

I dont think we should group them by layer.   That does not make too
much sense to me.
Better would be imho to group the into common families based on
transport using the same set of helpers.
I.e   i would prefer
  ./dcerpc   for dcerpc based dissectors + all dcerpc/ndr helpers
(many protocols)
  ./rpc        for onc-rpc based dissectors + all onc-rpc helpers  (26
protocols)
  ./asn1      for ber/der/per base diseectors and all the helpers (~30
protocols)

Just these three would represent about at least 150 files  counting
the ehaders as well.