Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reviewed and updated "User's Guide" available

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:51:08 +0200
Graeme Hewson wrote:

Ulf Lamping wrote:

7.4 first paragraph and 7.4.4: I would say "lookups" rather than
"resolvings".

changed at two places, please review

7.4 I would say (this is split between language and style) "This conversion might fail. For example, the name might be unknown. Some of the lookups are done with data from your local machine, while others ask network services such as DNS."

changed

8.4.1 missing text "Note!" next to icon

There are also some other places in the document, where I've choosen to use some small descriptive text rather than the "Note!" text.
I think this is more helpful. What do you think?

Sorry, I don't see the difference between this note and other notes. You might consider dropping the Note!, Tip! and perhaps Warning! text altogether.

I've using the "Note!" text for most of the notes. Some of the latest notes I've added, I replaced the "Note!" text with some short descriptive words, where appropriate. But I have doubts if this was a good idea at all.
I might change this back to all "Note!" after the next release.

9.4.1 note: could you use an em dash (in ASCII: --) instead of the
hyphen in "not - disabling"?

do you know, how to encode this in docbook XML, as I don't know it :-(

Well, some googling suggests "&mdash;" would work if the DTD supports it.

Hmmm, that don't sound like I want to change it.

C.3 "SAA like user interface"  Good grief, is IBM still plugging SAA?!
:-)  Seriously, I'm not sure many people will have even heard of it!

Hmmm, do you have a better example/name for this?

Just "GUI", I think.  Let's see...

"Tethereal is a terminal oriented version of Ethereal designed for capturing and displaying packets when a graphical environment, or GUI, isn't necessary or available. It supports the same options as Ethereal. For more information on Tethereal, see the manual pages (man tethereal)."

changed to something similar

I think the time has come to release the version 2.00 now. I will put the updated versions on my webpage, and ask Gerald if he likes to put the release on the official page.

Thanks for your effort making the guide better conforming to the "english grammar guidelines" :-)

Regards, ULFL