Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reviewed and updated "User's Guide" available

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:36:16 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:

We have version1.92 now...

7.2 "... in the order that the application layer sees it."

"Simply select a TCP packet in the stream/connection ..."

"laid" rather than "layed"

7.2.1 (top of p.112) "You can then choose to view the data ..."

Note: "... a filter to select all the packets in the TCP stream ..."

7.4 first paragraph and 7.4.4: I would say "lookups" rather than
"resolvings".

7.4.4 "asynchronously" rather than "asynchronous"

8.4 tip: "... here is the right place to look." rather than "look at."

8.4.1 missing text "Note!" next to icon

Something is accounted for, not just accounted. Or could say "will be
shown separately as additional endpoints."

8.4.2 better in present tense for "This window" and "The tab labels".

"5 ethernet endpoints have been captured" rather than "are captured".
Also, I'd write "five" (despite what the tab label says).

"If no endpoints of a specific protocol were captured".

"The second row's address was completely resolved" (not sure what you
mean by "completely")

"and the third was resolved to a broadcast"

8.4.3 "Even though the combined window" rather than "Even as"
8.5.3 same

9.3 (last sentence on p.136) "If this is the first time you have used"

9.4 "temporarily modify the way Ethereal calls the dissectors" rather
than "divert"

9.4.1 note: could you use an em dash (in ASCII: --) instead of the
hyphen in "not - disabling"?

9.4.1 For consistency with actions 4-7, say Enable, Disable and Toggle
in actions 1-3 rather than of Enables, Disables and Toggles

9.4.2 "The "Decode As functionality lets you"
"modify" or "change" rather than "divert"

under figure 9.6 "depends on the packet selected when it was opened"

Warning: "these settings will be lost" rather than "gone"

9.5 "The Cancel button will restore all preferences" (revert is
intransitive)

Note under figure 9.10: "restart Ethereal in order for column changes"

Table A.1: manuf is now in /usr/local/share/manuf by default.
I guess that'll be /usr/share/manuf if Ethereal is installed by a Linux
distribution?

Plugin directories are lib, not share now (/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins
and I suppose /usr/lib/ethereal/plugins)

ethers (p.154) Typos: "Etherereal", "/etheres", "spearated"

"... read in at program start and are never written ..."

ethers, manuf, ipxnets, plugins: refer to table A.1 rather than "the
file(s) listed above" ?

C.1: "helpful for doing some more specialized things."

C.3 "SAA like user interface"  Good grief, is IBM still plugging SAA?!
:-)  Seriously, I'm not sure many people will have even heard of it!

C.4 "to remove packets from capture files"

C.7.1 space in "idl2ethbasically"

C.7.2 "It is important to understand what CORBA traffic looks like"
rather than "how" (twice) [If you feel inclined to clean this up, Ulf; I
realise you didn't write it.]

C.7.3 2. URL for omniORB is now http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/

C.7.3 3. "and tweak it"

D. Should we upgrade to Version 1.2 of the GFDL?