Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reviewed and updated "User's Guide" available

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:22:41 +0200
Graeme Hewson wrote:

Ulf Lamping wrote:

We have version1.92 now...

7.2 "... in the order that the application layer sees it."

changed

"Simply select a TCP packet in the stream/connection ..."

changed

"laid" rather than "layed"

changed

7.2.1 (top of p.112) "You can then choose to view the data ..."

changed

Note: "... a filter to select all the packets in the TCP stream ..."

changed

7.4 first paragraph and 7.4.4: I would say "lookups" rather than
"resolvings".

changed at two places, please review

7.4.4 "asynchronously" rather than "asynchronous"

changed

8.4 tip: "... here is the right place to look." rather than "look at."

changed

8.4.1 missing text "Note!" next to icon

There are also some other places in the document, where I've choosen to use some small descriptive text rather than the "Note!" text.
I think this is more helpful. What do you think?

Something is accounted for, not just accounted. Or could say "will be
shown separately as additional endpoints."

changed

8.4.2 better in present tense for "This window" and "The tab labels".

changed both

"5 ethernet endpoints have been captured" rather than "are captured".

changed

Also, I'd write "five" (despite what the tab label says).

changed

"If no endpoints of a specific protocol were captured".

changed

"The second row's address was completely resolved" (not sure what you
mean by "completely")

changed to: "the second row's address was resolved to an IP address"

"and the third was resolved to a broadcast"

changed

8.4.3 "Even though the combined window" rather than "Even as"
8.5.3 same

changed both

9.3 (last sentence on p.136) "If this is the first time you have used"

changed

9.4 "temporarily modify the way Ethereal calls the dissectors" rather
than "divert"

you can think of this feature as a "diverted traffic", this might clarify what you are doing here.

9.4.1 note: could you use an em dash (in ASCII: --) instead of the
hyphen in "not - disabling"?

do you know, how to encode this in docbook XML, as I don't know it :-(

9.4.1 For consistency with actions 4-7, say Enable, Disable and Toggle
in actions 1-3 rather than of Enables, Disables and Toggles

changed

9.4.2 "The "Decode As functionality lets you"
"modify" or "change" rather than "divert"

same as above

under figure 9.6 "depends on the packet selected when it was opened"

changed

Warning: "these settings will be lost" rather than "gone"

changed

9.5 "The Cancel button will restore all preferences" (revert is
intransitive)

changed

Note under figure 9.10: "restart Ethereal in order for column changes"

changed

Table A.1: manuf is now in /usr/local/share/manuf by default.
I guess that'll be /usr/share/manuf if Ethereal is installed by a Linux
distribution?

I guess that this might depend on the unix version you are running on. I'm really not the right person who should write details about this, as I just don't know much about it.

This is just an excerpt from a Mail Guy Harris has send to this list a few months ago.

Plugin directories are lib, not share now (/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins
and I suppose /usr/lib/ethereal/plugins)

same as above.

ethers (p.154) Typos: "Etherereal", "/etheres", "spearated"

changed all

"... read in at program start and are never written ..."

changed three times

ethers, manuf, ipxnets, plugins: refer to table A.1 rather than "the
file(s) listed above" ?

changed

C.1: "helpful for doing some more specialized things."

changed

C.3 "SAA like user interface"  Good grief, is IBM still plugging SAA?!
:-)  Seriously, I'm not sure many people will have even heard of it!

Hmmm, do you have a better example/name for this?

C.4 "to remove packets from capture files"

changed

C.7.1 space in "idl2ethbasically"

added

C.7.2 "It is important to understand what CORBA traffic looks like"
rather than "how" (twice) [If you feel inclined to clean this up, Ulf; I
realise you didn't write it.]

changed (well, I didn't write a lot of the other parts of the guide either ...)

C.7.3 2. URL for omniORB is now http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/

changed (I trust on you :-)

C.7.3 3. "and tweak it"

Sorry, don't get the point

D. Should we upgrade to Version 1.2 of the GFDL?

As the Debian people have problems with the GFDL being not really free, I'm thinking about changing the license, but don't know the right one.

Of course this would require to ask all people contributing to the book, which might also be hard work :-(

Until then, I would like to keep the old license.

Regards, ULFL