Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] FYI: Starting webbrowser from Help->Ethereal Online

From: Noah Misch <noah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:58:51 -0700
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:50:15PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> I would like to establish this browser mechanism for all the available
> platforms, before doing ongoing effort about the online help and such.

> On win32, it should work fine for *any* "regular registered" browser, so
> the default browser should do the job.
>
> I'm not sure how it's working for unix builds (as mentioned, a
> preference might be needed, but need advice from the unix experts).

(Not to pose as a true Unix expert, but) the two solutions I've seen most on
Unix are (1) an application-specific preference for a browser command, and (2)
referring to the mailcap database.

As a user, I like the mailcap approach.  A preference is almost as good, though,
and it might be easier to implement.  On the other hand, you could make further
use of the mailcap handling if you wanted to view other MIME types later.  Mutt
(a GPL mailer for Unix) has a mailcap parser we could merge.