Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] FYI: Starting webbrowser from Help->Ethereal Online

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:51:18 -0700 (PDT)
Ulf Lamping said:
> I'm not sure how it's working for unix builds (as mentioned, a
> preference might be needed, but need advice from the unix experts).

Well, after my recent checkin, it works well on at least one UNIX:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

(or, at least, on OS X 10.3[.x]), although it does so by using OS X APIs
(the configure script currently checks, if the host OS is Darwin, for some
Core Foundation and Launch Service headers, as I'm not sure whether pure
Darwin has those frameworks; if it's not Darwin, it obviously doesn't try
building with those APIs).

Other UN*X desktop environments might also have "launch a browser with
this URL" APIs, although they won't be available unless you build with
those environments (GNOME, KDE, etc.).  Those APIs might launch your
preferred browser (or perhaps just the default browser for the
environment).

If built for a UN*X without a desktop environment, a preference setting
might be required.