Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with dynamic libs

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:01:48 +0100
Hi Jörg,

see my comments inline.

Best regards
Michael

On Mar 14, 2004, at 2:20 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 02:01:41PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
I tried to compile gtk2 for MacOS X which did not work (see my earlier
e-mail). Therefore I'm trying to stick to gtk1.2, which worked fine
before.

I don't have any experience with Macos10, I can only repleat what Guy
reported earlier: The gtk1 libs that he was using were not built for
dynmaic linking. If the libs come from a standard source (Apple, Fink),
then you are likely to be using the same set of libs. He "fixed" that
problem by installing and using gtk2. Maybe you can have a look at
the list archives to find out what he did.

This stuff does not come from Apple and I do not like Fink. So
I'm just downloading the sources and compile/install them directly.
This worked for glib12 and gtk12 (with updating the config.guess).
I remember the discussion of Guy, so I tried to install gtk2. But
you can not compile it. See my email earlier. I installed a couple
of libraries including glib2, but gtk does not work.
So I have to wait until the gtk2 and the other libraries used by it
are ported to Mac OS X. Even a non developer user has to install all
the libraries, this is much more compared to gtk12.
But if gtk2 is the way to go, it will be ported eventually.
Maybe I can build tethereal, since glib2 could be installed. I will
try.
As far as I know from earlier discussions on the list dynamic libs do
not work with glib1.2. So I'm thinking that
./configure --disable-shared
should work, which does not. Some plugins still want dynamic stuff.
So I tried
./configure --disable-plugins --disable-shared
but I get still

--disable-shared implies --enable-static. --enable-static today tries
to build a *completely* static binary. NO dynamic libs whatsoever.
This, btw hasn't been working on my Suse for more than a year because
of some glibc trouble.
So if it seems to be that no one uses it, why not just delete the option
instead of putting effort into it?

Why are these still requesting Dynamic stuff? It is possible that Apple
needs to update some autotools or the problem is on
my side. But I do not have a clue what to do.

BTW: The link stage requested crt0.o but I only have crt1.o on my
system. Just copying it resolved that problem. Where
does the -lcrt0.o come from?

How can I check out stuff that I can continue to work with the CVS
version, but still built the old way?

The best way to go on Macos is probably to switch to gtk2. See above.

After the gtk2 stuff is fixed.
I can try to fix the all-static build within the next few days, but
certainly not today. Another point is, that I can try to make it
work on Suse 9.0, but not on Macos as I lack a system to test on.

As said above, if it is only for me, it is not worth the effort.
 Ciao
   Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that