Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with dynamic libs

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:01:41 +0100
Dear all,

I tried to compile gtk2 for MacOS X which did not work (see my earlier
e-mail). Therefore I'm trying to stick to gtk1.2, which worked fine before.

As far as I know from earlier discussions on the list dynamic libs do
not work with glib1.2. So I'm thinking that
./configure --disable-shared
should work, which does not. Some plugins still want dynamic stuff.
So I tried
./configure --disable-plugins --disable-shared
but I get still
ld: /usr/lib/crt0.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbol_stub) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: pcap-util-unix.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: capture_stop_conditions.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: cfile.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: conditions.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: disabled_protos.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: pcap-util.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: print.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: ps.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: range.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: ringbuffer.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: timestats.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: version_info.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: alert_box.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: capture.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: file.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: filters.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: proto_hier_stats.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used) ld: summary.o incompatible, file contains unsupported type of section 1 (__TEXT,__picsymbolstub1) in load command 0 (must specify "-dynamic" to be used)
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrypto
make[2]: *** [ethereal] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
[PowerBook15:~/Documents/ethereal] tuexen%

Why are these still requesting Dynamic stuff? It is possible that Apple needs to update some autotools or the problem is on
my side. But I do not have a clue what to do.

BTW: The link stage requested crt0.o but I only have crt1.o on my system. Just copying it resolved that problem. Where
does the -lcrt0.o come from?

How can I check out stuff that I can continue to work with the CVS version, but still built the old way?

Best regards
Michael