Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with dynamic libs

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:20:35 +0100
On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 02:01:41PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> I tried to compile gtk2 for MacOS X which did not work (see my earlier
> e-mail). Therefore I'm trying to stick to gtk1.2, which worked fine
> before.

I don't have any experience with Macos10, I can only repleat what Guy
reported earlier: The gtk1 libs that he was using were not built for
dynmaic linking. If the libs come from a standard source (Apple, Fink),
then you are likely to be using the same set of libs. He "fixed" that
problem by installing and using gtk2. Maybe you can have a look at
the list archives to find out what he did.

> As far as I know from earlier discussions on the list dynamic libs do
> not work with glib1.2. So I'm thinking that
> ./configure --disable-shared
> should work, which does not. Some plugins still want dynamic stuff.
> So I tried
> ./configure --disable-plugins --disable-shared
> but I get still

--disable-shared implies --enable-static. --enable-static today tries
to build a *completely* static binary. NO dynamic libs whatsoever.
This, btw hasn't been working on my Suse for more than a year because
of some glibc trouble.

> Why are these still requesting Dynamic stuff? It is possible that Apple
> needs to update some autotools or the problem is on
> my side. But I do not have a clue what to do.
>
> BTW: The link stage requested crt0.o but I only have crt1.o on my
> system. Just copying it resolved that problem. Where
> does the -lcrt0.o come from?
>
> How can I check out stuff that I can continue to work with the CVS
> version, but still built the old way?

The best way to go on Macos is probably to switch to gtk2. See above.
I can try to fix the all-static build within the next few days, but
certainly not today. Another point is, that I can try to make it
work on Suse 9.0, but not on Macos as I lack a system to test on.

 Ciao
   Jï¿œrg