Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with dynamic libs

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:34:44 +0100
On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 04:01:48PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> >--disable-shared implies --enable-static. --enable-static today tries
> >to build a *completely* static binary. NO dynamic libs whatsoever.
> >This, btw hasn't been working on my Suse for more than a year because
> >of some glibc trouble.
> So if it seems to be that no one uses it, why not just delete the option
> instead of putting effort into it?

Well, Im not sure nobody uses it. Luckily, my linux system isn't the
center of the world and as far as I know, static builds may still work
on xxxBSD, AIX and HP/UX

> As said above, if it is only for me, it is not worth the effort.

Well, there is one thing I definitely want to avoid: I do not want to
discourage people from developing or using Ethereal. While forcing
people to upgrade several tools or libs may not have been nice, it
has been the first of such updates basically since the beginning of
Ethereal development and allowed us to get rid of quite a few hacks
in the build process (or will allow us to). If it turns out that
the latest patches have made updating too hard for the average user
or developer we will definitly have to address that.
The least thing we could and probably should do is to add a README.macos
that gives a list of packages including versions that are proven to
work plus the necessary steps to actually build Ethereal.

  Ciao
                       Jï¿œrg