Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems with autogen and Mandrake

From: Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:04:40 -0000
Hello Guy,

I am not going to blame any of the issues on Ethereal.  For an example,
see the following ethereal-dev threads where I got the latest version of
Mandrake and had issues:

[Ethereal-dev] Building under Mandrake 9.0
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=aqbg4q%241cnp%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dethereal%2Bmandrake%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Daqbg4q%25241cnp%25241%2540FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw%26rnum%3D1

And now I can't build at all unless I get a more recent version of
automake.

I have to admit, upgrading the toolchain to a major distribution is not
an attractive option just to get Ethereal to compile.  But can I really
blame Ethereal for Mandrake's not tracking the latest and greatest
version of autotools?  Possibly I could assert that perhaps the bar is
set a bit high if the goal is to maximize the number of platforms
Ethereal builds under.  On the other hand, perhaps enough of this sort
of thing will prompt Mandrake to upgrade their toolchain.

I just want the thing to work out of the box.  I don't want to become an
autoconf expert just to be an Ethereal contributor.  I'm not confident
it's realistic to expect users to upgrade the toolchain that came with
their distribution just to compile Ethereal.

Devin