Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Problems with autogen and Mandrake

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:57:56 +0100
|From: Devin Heitmueller
|
|Hello,
|
|I'm trying to compile the CVS ethereal for Mandrake 9.1, and am running
|into the following errors when I run autogen.  I have autoconf 2.13 as
|well as 2.5 installed (standard for Mandrake).
|
|Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

The problem is the version of the autotools you're using. I strongly suspect
that there is also a devel branch of the autotools with your Mandrake
distribution, as this is the case in cygwin (a RedHat derivate). Try running
the following on your system:
$ find / -name automake -exec echo {} ';' -exec {} --version ';'
Shoud this yield a newer automake, then I propose you add its directory to
$PATH when building Ethereal.

I didn't find the recent autotools on RPMfind.net but you should find them
in the Mandrake Cooker "distribution".

Ethereal *can* be compiled with automake 1.7.9, autoconf 2.59 and libtool
1.5.

See the thread "Move dissectors into libethereal" for more info on this
issue.

Regards,

Olivier