Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] About the reported compile problems and autotools

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:06:56 +0100
Hi list,

If I understand the situation correctly, then:

* When we started part 1 of moving dissection into libethereal, the common
autotools don't work anymore.
* Reason is that we compile in "ethereal/epan" and the sources are in "..".
* If we move the dissection code into "ethereal/epan" (e.g., in a "dissect"
subdirectory), the new autotools are no longer required.

If the last item is correct, we may want to move the dissectors to a
subdirectory of epan (e.g., dissect) as soon as possible. This would remove
the requirement on the need for using the recent autotools.

I am aware of potential loss of versioning history when moving files in CVS,
but many workarounds seem to exist.
The CVS manual helps (relevant section: 7; more specifically 7.4)
http://ftp.cvshome.org/release/stable/cvs-1.11.13/cederqvist-1.11.13.pdf

If we want to preserve version history, we must use "-r <rev>" to add the
desired revision number to the file, otherwise revisions start again at 1.1.
We also must prevent other people checking in files at the time of moving
the files.

If we envisage moving the dissection code to epan, maybe we should do the
same for the plugin dissectors.

Regards,

Olivier