Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RFE: saving graph options

From: "J.Smith" <lbalbalba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:36:17 +0100

> (I presume you mean "I have no idea whether the code and methods that
> are currently used by Ethereal for reading and storing the other options
> could be re-used to read the TCP Graph options?")

Yes, I do. Sorry if the previous post seemed a little unclear there.

> Yes, they can, with my recent checkin.

Wow, that was quick.

> Which options are ones that one would want to be the same for all
> graphs, or at least to start out the same for all graphs, but that
> different users might want different settings for?

The ones that I personally would like to keep saved for all my graphs (as my
'personal defaults') are:
- Zoom
Keep them the same
Preserve their ratio
Zoom lock

- Magnify
Keep them the same
Preserve their ratio

- Cross
Crosshairs on/off

> Which options are rarely changed so that hardcoded defaults are OK?

- Zoom
I am not so sure about the 'horizontal/vertical/step' numbers, I hardly
touch them myself, but one might want this saved as a preference ?

- Magnify
Same goes for the numbers on 'width/height/x/y/horizontal/vertical' magnify
; I hardly change these ones myself, but maybe others would like these saved
as a preference.

- Origin
Also not sure about 'sequence number origin', personally I change this a lot
myself (so not worth saving), but one might want this saved as a preference.

> Which options are ones that would probably be changed for *every* graph,
> or are otherwise not worth saving ("Graph type", for example, is
> selected from the menu)?

Well as you already mentioned, "graph type" is one thing not worth saving
(except maybe for the 'init-on-change' button?), and others might be:
- Zoom
In/Out

- Origin
Time Origin (beginning of this tcp session vs beginning of capture).

Sincerely,

J.Smith